Sunday, May 3, 2015

Academic Life

2)

Dobry den!

During the time I have been here, my classmates and I have been asked one particular question multiple times: “Are you guys even studying out there?” I would like to let you all know that yes, we have an academic life. I would like to go as far as saying that this study abroad program in the Czech Republic may be the best at UNK. That might make me sound biased but that’s fine!


We are lucky to be studying at Palacky University here in Olomouc. They thrive on international education and accept students from several nations to come study here. Now, let’s get into my academic classes. Our courses consist of Czech language, a history class based on different topics, educational field trips, and writing this fun blog! I have talked a little bit about Czech class before. Our professor is Katerina Prokopova who is doing an amazing job as our Czech instructor. She is very patient and always eager to teach us something new everyday. I really enjoy this class because it is very interactive. We have dialogue practice between classmates, games, and videos to help us improve our knowledge of the Czech language. I must say that Czech is not one of the easiest languages to learn but still very fun to attempt to. This past week we learned about useful terms we can use at restaurants to help communicate with our servers better. This class is the one I look forward to the most during my time here.

Our history lectures consist of several different topics. They are about government, politics, religion, race, gender and other subjects. We are learning so much about the Czech Republic and history of its surrounding countries. We have different lecturers, who come teach us about the different topics, which is interesting so we are able to listen to different peoples’ perspectives. The topic I am most interested in is the Holocaust as this is such a big part of the whole world’s history. That brings me to our educational field trips. Last week I spoke about our trip to Terezin. This weekend we will be taking a trip to Krakow and Auschwitz as we continue to learn more about the Holocaust. Our past field trips have consisted of Prague, Czech Republic, Dresden, Germany, Vienna, Austria, and Venice, Italy. We will also be taking a trip to Bohemia. The field trips are such a great chance to travel and learn new things about every destination. This is my favorite course as I enjoy traveling.

Last but not least, we are required to write a blog. I would say that I’m glad this is a requirement as it makes it easier for me to share my new experiences with anyone who wants to hear about them. I like to write and I know I miss several details about my time here. It is so hard to include everything, as there is so much that is happening all the time!



Academics are what brought me here and I am very grateful for that. Now that I have explained each course I hope everyone knows that we certainly do have class and are not just on a huge vacation! Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment