Monday, April 20, 2015

Cultural Comparisons

5)

Dobry den!

It’s been awhile since I updated my last blog and I apologize to those of you have been dying to read more! The topic for today is cultural comparisons. There are multiple comparisons I could make but there are a few I would like to discuss.

First and foremost, it came to my surprise that I have to pay for things I am definitely not used to paying for back in the states. Things like using a restroom, using a cart at the grocery store, water and condiments at a restaurant/café. In most places, in order to use a public restroom, you have to pay a small fee. Although, the price is not high, it tends to accumulate after some time of being here. Luckily, if you have ordered something from a restaurant or bought something from a business, you are welcome to use the restroom. Here is a picture of what a ticket stub may look like for when you pay to use the restroom, which is widely known as W.C. here in Europe.



Second, I was always so used to ordering a glass of water at any restaurant in America without worrying about it costing anything. Here, you must pay for even a small glass of water that may cost more than beer, wine, or spirits! It is something I have had to adjust to. Also, when you ask for a condiment like ketchup or more mayo for your food, it will come with a price. I was so used to going somewhere that would fill my order with several packets of ketchup and extra napkins. Here, I have had to make one packet of ketchup last me through all my meal. Although I am making it seem like this is a great inconvenience, I realize that if someone from the Czech Republic went to America and got all these things for free, they would be culture shocked as well.

Lastly, the thing I couldn’t believe had a cost is using a cart at the grocery store. Globus is where I go to buy most of my groceries, which can be compared to a Wal-Mart. In order to use a cart to carry all your items, you must pay. Luckily, there are small baskets you are able to use if you don’t want to pay the small fee. Once you check out, you must have your own bag to place your purchases in. They will not bag groceries for you. Here I am with my Globus reusable bag full of food!



Another difference in our town of Olomouc is the fact that a lot of nightlife, shops, and restaurants are open all week long and close on the weekends. During the weekends, there is not much going on. Many shops and bars are closed.

My favorite comparison from the Czech Republic to the United States is the cost of food. I can eat a full meal for only $3! It is so great. One U.S. dollar amounts to 25 korunas. When you first hear the total of 100 you may be overwhelmed until you realize that means a great meal is only going to cost you $4!


The culture is different but I have enjoyed being in Olomouc. The Czech Republic and other countries we have visited in Europe are allowing me to become culturally aware, which is something I am passionate about.

No comments:

Post a Comment